BMW Z5 Crossed Paths With The Toyota Supra - BMW Z5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

BMW Z5 Crossed Paths With The Toyota Supra

We’ve been seeing spy shots and videos of the camouflaged BMW Z5 test mule while it’s out testing in the snow by itself, but we haven’t seen it cross paths with the Toyota Supra until now. Caught with its soft top down, AutoBlog spy photographer spotted the Z5 winter testing in Sweden with its platform mate, the Toyota Supra.

Being developed through a joint engineering collaboration between BMW and Toyota, the Z5 will be riding on a shared platform with the Supra but one will be sold exclusively as a coupe, while the other will be a convertible only. That roof difference is evident when you take a look at the Supra’s double-bubble roof, something that was featured on the recent FT-1 concept, and the soft top that is folded down even with temperatures hitting 7 degrees Fahrenheit that day.

With how cold it was, the Z5's mustachioed driver must have been kept warm by something. We can count on seeing BMW seat warmers as a standard or optional feature in the Z5 and maybe even BMW's in-seat neck warmers.

There’s still no official debut date, but we can expect it to take place before the end of this year. Maybe in Frankfurt or at the Tokyo Motor Show.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Odds are you're right about those roof options when it comes to the initial launch year but down the road into year 2,3 and 4, that's where things can get really interesting.

One being the fact they'll introduce a different roof on the Supra depending on how things go. If you ask me, targa is what I want, just like the MKIV. But that's only if I go for the supra.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM

If they're being tested together, does that mean both the supra and the Z5 have similar drive dynamics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:22 PM

Drive dynamics will be different between the two. They are both extremely similar cars but will appeal to two different markets. The guys that want sporty luxury and the guys that want raw jdm power with the sport feeling to go with it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 PM

A targa would ideal to have in the Supra. If there's anything else that I would want to see out of it, that would be it.

Drive dynamics I can see being similar, one with maybe more harsher suspension and the other a tad softer.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procharge View Post
A targa would ideal to have in the Supra. If there's anything else that I would want to see out of it, that would be it.

Drive dynamics I can see being similar, one with maybe more harsher suspension and the other a tad softer.
Well we already have a good selection of driving modes. Odds are what it will get comes from the 4-series, can't imagine any other models it pulling from.
If you haven't driven a 4-series or M4 as yet, you might as well while waiting.

Later this year we should get more confirmation on suspension/driveline/powertrain etc.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Driving modes will be something standard that they have like normal, sport, and sport plus or however they word it. I know they have some sort of eco mode but I doubt it'll be on the Z5.

I would probably get around to going and test driving them as I haven't tested any of those yet. The last BMW I drove was a 09 535 I think... but it was merely just to commute throughout the day as I needed to borrow my friends car.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Time for a trip to the dealers The 535 will feel bounds different from the Z. Gotta look at it at a size perspective as well as something really sporty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page