BMW Z5 Forum

BMW Z5 Forum (https://www.z5talk.com/forum/index.php)
-   BMW Z5 Versus the Competition (https://www.z5talk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   More Porsche-like this time please! (https://www.z5talk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073)

beemer 03-31-2017 01:03 PM

More Porsche-like this time please!

My choices have come down to either the 718 Boxster or this BMW Z5. Both brands have historically stolen the spot light on these types of sporty convertibles. Yes there is Mercedes and many others out there but when you really narrow it down, these two rise to the top. Only hope is that BMW makes the Z5 as much of a drivers car as the 718. I like everything else BMW has to offer, but driver focused is the last box to be checked off.

Whether BMW can do it, we'll have to wait.

Procharge 03-31-2017 03:40 PM

I doubt the Z5 is going to be as good of a drivers car as the 718 unfortunately. Porsche owns the sector that is "Driving Vehicles" They have perfected that formula a long time ago and they continue to single handedly run that game.

Motoren 04-03-2017 01:42 AM

Would you move on to the 718 if the Z5 doesn't perform just as well, or will there be other deciding factors?

Procharge 04-03-2017 03:13 PM

I'm not expecting it perform just as well, but it definitely needs to be good enough. Some things can be modified and change to suit me a bit better, but I wouldn't want to have to overhaul something like the whole suspension package. There will be that and many other factors like sound, seat comfort, shifter position, etc.

Zeddy 04-09-2017 05:12 PM

Also have to look at pricing as well. With the money you could potentially save from buying a 718, you could put it into the suspension of the Z5 and perhaps get something that better performs even.

Motoren 04-23-2017 06:26 PM

Best to just test drive both once the Z5 is out. I've heard that the 718 Boxster has great performance numbers on paper but it isn't as fun to drive as its past iterations.

Procharge 04-24-2017 03:37 PM

I guess it really comes down to what you like as well. Do you want something that you can kick out and have fun with or something that's more oriented to solid gripping the turns and what not.

beemer 04-27-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoren (Post 8818)
Best to just test drive both once the Z5 is out. I've heard that the 718 Boxster has great performance numbers on paper but it isn't as fun to drive as its past iterations.

Better yet, before doing that, test drive a Z4 so you can get a real sense of how good/bad the Z5 is. Not always are successors better for everyone. For someone this could mean saving a lot and enjoying a vehicle in a way suitable for them. OH.... don't forget, Z4's will take another hit in price once Z5 releases ;)

Zeddy 04-30-2017 01:39 PM

Ahh... now that's another good point right there.

Instead of looking at it against it's competition, try it against it's predecessor and see that stacks up. Then ultimately you can make the comparison of Z4 vs 718 if you end up finding the Z4 better. Then try to justify the price gap

beemer 05-06-2017 09:36 PM

Well its more for getting a baseline of what BMW offers since even with the Z5 being a new product there's a certain level of the Z4's legacy they want to carry on, in typical BMW fashion.

Aside from the Z4 there's nothing else.